Primus Bank dates back to 1955 when Primus North Central of the UK was active
in taking deposits through a number of agents. This activity was formalized in
1969 when Primus Bank Limited was registered as a wholly-owned subsidiary of
Primus North Central plc - a member of the Natwest Bank Group.
In 1975, the Malta Government purchased 25% of
the Bank's ordinary shares. An option to acquire a further 35% was exercised by
Government in 1981 while 40% were retained by Primus North Central. In April
1990 the Bank became a Public Limited Company and offered equity to the public.
The issue was five times oversubscribed and the Government shareholding was
subsequently totally divested. In 1994 Primus Bank listed its shares on the
Malta Stock Exchange.